Last updated on November 6th, 2019 at 12:28 am
Seriously, this whole reality thing is so getting in the way of my dream. Or is it the fact that I am pursuing the dream that makes the reality so real? Good question. The continuous quest for multiple streams of income continues with a new feature on Twitter and Beyond. Now you can order custom backgrounds for your Twitter account. Why does this matter? If there is a space to brand, and Twitter provides space, take advantage of it! You can get the gist of it by checking out an example on the 8 Women Dream Twitter account.
Back to reality and an interesting example of how reality whacked me upside the head this week.
The plan for my Tuesday:
- Call with a potential business referral partner
- Answer critical email
- Meet client to review a proposal
- Stop at bank
- Run home and shove food in the face
- Meet with another potential referral partner
- Stop at the bank again
- Hurry back to the office to attempt actual billable work
And how my Tuesday turned out:
- Call with potential business referral partner — 30 minutes late
- Answer critical email — at least the top 25 of them
- Meet the client to review the proposal — on time no less!
- Stop at the bank — one errand down
- Run home and shove food in the face — and now I have heartburn
- Meet with another potential referral partner — cool connection
- Realize my briefcase is missing. With my keys and wallet inside.
This is where my afternoon got interesting
It was right there. Just a minute ago. I am apparently super trusting and oblivious to the reality of getting your bag snatched while enjoying your iced coffee Downtown. It’s not like it was a cute little purse — the thing is big enough to hold a laptop!
How would you handle this situation? Freak out or take action?
Things I’ve learned from this experience:
- Coffee shops with quick thinking employees are very handy
- Complete strangers can be really helpful
- Bicycle cops are great! I had no idea how quickly they can zip around.
- Catching the person who grabbed my bag on videotape was totally cool
- Walking all over 4 blocks downtown and looking in garbage cans is disgusting
- Wearing cute sandals works for the meeting, not for tracking bad guys
- With all the crap going on in my life right now, by comparison, this was nothing
And the best ever…
- Finding my bag with only loose change missing!
I have to say, taking action was the best thing to happen to this situation. Getting to the SRPD so quick (amazing help guys!) made all the difference. And it didn’t hurt they were so cool about the whole thing.
One canceled credit card and change in a briefcase is NOTHING. A few lost business hours can be made up, because who sleeps anyway?
My lesson learned; Keep things close and be more aware. I can keep my trusting nature, just not be so naive about it.
Heather Montgomery is a fitness writer, triathlete, and serial entrepreneur who is devoted to sharing what she has learned about becoming a triathlete after age 40. She uses her Metabolic Training Certification to help other women struggling to get fit in mid-life. She lives and trains in Santa Rosa, California, the new home of the Ironman triathlon. You can find her biking the Sonoma County wine trails.
Note: Articles by Heather may contain affiliate links and will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on an affiliate link.