With summer in full swing, it is now the time for increased travel.
With the increase in dreams of relaxation, adventure and fun in the sun, our health tends to take a backseat. Whether you’re headed to fish on the lake or sit on a sandy beach, Dr. Wayne Andersen, Medical Director for Take Shape for Life at www.tsfl.com and author of the bestselling book “Dr. A’s Habits of Health,” wants to keep you on track with some of his healthy travel tips.
7 Healthy Travel Tips:
1. Before you pack, be sure to ask the hotel if they have a gym or pool and bring appropriate clothes to get some exercise. (No excuses!)
2. Bring healthy snacks for the road/plane. Items like Medifast Crunch Bars are great options because they’re satisfying, portable and contain less sodium and calories than airplane snacks or fast food options.
3. Drink lots of water. Any sort of traveling is taxing on the body and you’ll want to keep hydrated.
4. Remember that alcohol will let down your defenses and is full of empty calories and carbs! It is best to choose club soda or a diet drink with your meals.
5. Make healthy choices. Some days you may have to have both lunch and dinner out, so make the best of it and choose wisely.
6. Order a salad and appetizer for you main meal. It will most likely be the proper portion.
7. Remember to bring your journal to jot down both memories from the trip as well as what you ate to help you keep track of calories.
Bring sunscreen to your sunny locations and wear a good sun hat.
Enjoy your wanderings and take everything with a grain of salt. You will eventually returning back home, so make the best of everything involved in your trips! The healthiest way you can enjoy your travels is with the right attitude.
Natasha von Geldern is a travel writer, editor, and blogger who is passionate about making the pages of the atlas real by traveling the world. She is a contributor to Travel Wire Asia, Wild Junket Magazine, Yahoo! Total Travel, and Travelbite. You can find her on her travel website and blog, WorldWanderingKiwi.
Note: Articles by Natasha may contain affiliate links and may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on an affiliate link.