Last updated on January 22nd, 2019 at 02:08 pm
What Freedom Means To This Motivational Speaker
In honor of the July 4th holiday, I am writing today about freedom and what it means to me.
- Freedom means I get up every day and choose my own path – make my own decisions – follow my own road – whether that road takes me to a neighbor, a job, or the clearance rack of Walmart.
- It means I don’t have to cover my face or my hair extensions and allows me to walk around in Pilazzo pants, even if they do make my butt look like two pigs fighting under a blanket.
- Freedom means I get to raise my child any way I want – even if that means making him wear knitted sweaters that his grandmother made, where we have to cut out our own neck hole.
- It means I get to choose my own church, and how I want to worship, and what I want to believe in. It means I can walk openly into my church instead of hiding out so others won’t know what I’m doing.
- Freedom means I get to have a voice and an opinion – no matter how silly or dumb it may be.
- It means I get to own my own house, my own business, my own car – my own future. Even when I mess it up, it’s still mine to mess up.
- Freedom means that I get a say in how this country works. And that my voice matters just as much as the next voice.
- It means that I can use my words to share hope and humor and tell my story.
- Freedom means I can love my neighbor just as they are, without expecting them to be like me.
- It means that I have a group of men and women watching my back at every moment – making sure I’m protected and safe – men and women who are willing to die for me – even when they don’t believe the same things that I do.
- Freedom means neighbors who help each other just because they can, and people who rally and gather and serve when crisis hits – putting aside their differences or arguments from the day before – to come together as one nation, under God, indivisible, with justice and liberty for all.
- Click here for closing words from my nephew.
Thank you to the men and women who serve, have served, and will serve – to protect and defend one of our greatest treasures – freedom.
Kelly Swanson is an award-winning storyteller, motivational speaker, published author and TV personality who is passionate about helping women harness the power of their stories to connect, influence, and get the results they dream of accomplishing. Laughing the whole way, Kelly teaches women how to master the art of connection through the power of strategic storytelling. You can find her on The Fashion Hero show airing Fall of 2017 on Amazon Prime or on her website MotivationalSpeakerKellySwanson.com.
Note: Articles by Kelly may contain affiliate links and may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on an affiliate link.