Last updated on October 1st, 2023 at 01:12 pm
The trees are red, gold, and orange in the most glorious season in New England. Autumn is the dream season, and it is spectacular. I’ve been hiking, visiting farms, and driving down the Mass Pike, enjoying all the best of the season.
I visited Mountain View Farm in Easthampton, MA, yesterday. I was there to pick up a CSA (community-supported agriculture) farm share for my mom. This time, the farm yield included sweet potatoes, white potatoes, beets, scallions, red lettuce, dinosaur kale, collard greens, tatsoi, and mizuna. The farms also offer an option to pick vegetables or flowers as part of the farm share.
I decided to pick some flowers. It had been drizzling, but the skies opened up while I picked orange, fuschia, and purple flowers in the fields. Suddenly, it was pouring rain. The air temperature was warm for an autumn day, so the rain didn’t feel cold to me. Luckily, I happened to be wearing a hat over my pigtails. So I decided to stay out there and finish picking the flowers to assemble my autumn bouquet while I got soaked.
I finished picking about a dozen flowers, then took shelter in the main barn where the farm share is distributed. Other CSA participants were hanging out there, waiting for the rain to pass.
I’ve also loved the quote: “Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain.” Yesterday was one of those days! When the rain was just a bit lighter, I headed back outside again. It felt surprisingly nice being out in the rain.
Hiking The Cliffs
Last weekend, I spent time hiking in New York. It was a foggy day, yet the colors were still incredibly vibrant. I hiked the Indian Ladder trail at Thacher Park in Voorheesville, NY. The winding paths were carpeted in gold leaves. The trails are along the cliffs, and the views are amazing. The trees were red, green, gold, and orange.
I took pictures as I walked of the spectacular colors, edged by the fog that was rolling in as I hiked. By the time I left, the valley was blanketed in fog. Layered clothing to account for temperature changes throughout the day is a must on this hike. If you consider visiting, wear moisture-wicking, breathable fabrics to stay comfortable. Don’t forget a hat, gloves, and a windproof jacket.
Be sure to check for any trail closures or weather advisories. Autumn can bring unpredictable weather, so it’s essential to be prepared. As I left, the park crew was closing the park because the views were obscured.
Hiking and visiting a farm in New York and New England during this season guarantees being surrounded by breathtaking beauty. It’s an experience that feels almost heavenly as you immerse yourself in these picturesque landscapes. Autumn truly earns its title as the “dream season” as the trees burst into a symphony of fiery colors, and every corner of nature undergoes a remarkable transformation.
In my personal journey, I’ve come to see that living one’s dreams is akin to the enchanting transition of autumn. It’s a process of metamorphosis, where you gradually mold yourself into the person you aspire to be while navigating the winding path of your dreams. The journey is a lot like the changing leaves, a constant evolution.
The passion that arises from living our dreams can set our souls ablaze. An exhilarating surge of energy accompanies the pursuit of our dreams, much like the fiery foliage of autumn. Every step forward is a step towards realizing our desires, and there’s a unique thrill in embracing a season that not only radiates with vibrant colors but also symbolizes a time of profound change and personal transformation. Autumn becomes a reflection of our own growth and evolution as we chase our dreams with unwavering determination.
The Last Quarter
We’ve also officially moved into the last quarter of the year, reinforcing that it is dream season. It’s time to move on any dreams that we’ve committed to for the year that may not have manifested yet. It’s time to update our last quarter goals and ensure we progress.
Exploring Your Dreams: A Goal Check-In Guide for the Autumn Dream Season
1. Reflect on Your Goals You Wrote Down Last January: Begin your journey by revisiting the goals you set at the beginning of the year. Have you achieved them, or are there dreams and aspirations overlooked in life’s hustle and bustle? Take a moment to reconnect with those long-forgotten dreams and ponder what would make the remaining months of this year spectacular for you.
2. Discover Your Top Three Priority Goals: Identify the three most significant goals that resonate with your heart and soul. These are the dreams that, if realized this coming year, would create the most profound impact on your life.
3. Break Goals into Manageable Steps: Progress is achieved one step at a time. Dissect those three pivotal goals into smaller, more manageable steps. Consider these steps as your “mini turtle steps” – each one takes you closer to your dream while making the journey feel less overwhelming.
4. Embrace Your Ideal Self: Visualize the person you need to become in order to accomplish these goals. Envision the qualities, habits, and mindset embodying your ideal version of yourself. Craft a list of these qualities and then take action from that space. Embrace the belief that you are already the person who has achieved what you desire, and act accordingly.
5. Daily Visualization of Success: Implement a powerful technique used by many successful people, including Jim Carrey – spend a few minutes each day visualizing what they dream of becoming. Envision yourself accomplishing your dreams, basking in the glory of achievement, and relishing in the joy of your aspirations coming true. This practice fuels your motivation and aligns your actions with your dreams, bringing you one step closer to making them a reality.
I wish you success with all of your goals and dreams, and I hope this dream season will be a time when you can really accelerate and move forward with what is most important to you. Start moving on those turtle steps, taking at least one tiny step a day toward your greatest dreams.
Lisa P. Graham is an inspirational writer, life coach, TED motivational speaker, and globe-trotter whose passion is to help others to find happiness and meaning in their daily lives. A political activist at heart, Lisa would like to empower more women to run for political office as a way to create positive change in the world. You can find her on her website or watch her TEDx speech on YouTube.
Note: Articles by Lisa may contain affiliate links and may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on an affiliate link.