Notice: Undefined variable: custom_content in /home/dh_cifdj8wd/8womendream.com/wp-content/themes/restored316-market/functions.php on line 403
Last updated on December 10th, 2010 at 12:21 pm
My word for the week is sabotage. Defined by Answers.com as “Treacherous action to defeat or hinder a cause or an endeavor, deliberate subversion”.
Why do we sabotage our own success?Â I have been thinking about this word a lot. Â I know I have consciously and unconsciouslyÂ sabotaged my goal to be a successful artist. Â Â SevenÂ examples of this include:
1. Having the US Representative Mike Thompson ask to display a piece of mine in Washington then doing so but not sending business cards or keeping in contact.
2. Meeting a Fortune 500 businessman who wants me to do a piece for him then not following up.
3. Making contact with the gallery owner in Sonoma and having her interested then not calling.
4. Meeting another gallery artist who says she wants me to be a guest and not calling her.
5. Getting an email from the Artist in Japan and not answering.
6. While trying to start painting lessons, putting out a sign up sheet, then takingÂ five months before starting.
7. Not finishing grad school
So there they are. Seven blatant ways I have sabotaged my own success and I ask myself why? I come up with two answers: fear of success and insecurity.
But how to deal with it? In the following video from www.changethatsrightnow.com they discuss our automatic response to our fears –
Wendy’s dream was to become a influential international artist, but she left 8 Women Dream in March of 2010 to complete grad school.Â She is still a strong supporter of 8 Women Dream and you will see her in the comments on the blog.
Enjoy this special 8WomenDream Guest Contributor story submitted by new and experienced big dreamers throughout the world, edited and published to capture a dream perspective from different points-of-view. Do you have a personal dream story to share with 8WomenDream readers? Click here to learn how to submit dream big articles for consideration.
Note: Articles by Guest Post Contributors may contain affiliate links and 8WD will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on an affiliate link.