Last updated on January 22nd, 2019 at 01:50 pm
Having a hard time getting that speech on paper?
Here are some questions to ask yourself before you start to write that speech.
Make sure you address these issues in your speech, and it will have a structure your audience will love and appreciate.
How to Write a Speech in 17 Steps:
1. Who am I? A quick way to introduce yourself and create rapport with your audience.
2. Why am I here? State your intent.
3. What do we have in common? In what ways can you relate to this particular audience?
4. What is the problem we face? State the struggle that audience has.
5. What happens if we don’t fix it?
6. What happens if we do?
7. How I experienced this problem in my life.
8. What shift in perspective did I have to have in order to fix this problem?
9. What were the three steps I took that helped me resolve this problem? These are your three main talking points. There can be other talking points under each point.
10. Here are some details under each three. Optional – sometimes you can just have three main points and that’s it in a keynote.
11. I know what you’re thinking. Handle any unspoken objections you know they are going to have.
12.Here’s how I would encourage you to try it anyway.
13. Here’s what action step(s) I recommend that you take on Monday.
14. Here is how we can stay in touch.
15. Here are some resources I have for you.
16. Here’s why I think you can’t ignore this any longer.
17. Because I believe you deserve…
As I said earlier, these questions are just a starting point. Change them, create your own. The point is that you understand the structure before you write the speech. Now that you have figured out what you want to say, you decide how you want to say it. That’s a lesson for another day.
That’s a lesson for another day.
When you’re ready to add the stories, come to Story Impact Academy and we’ll turn you into a master storyteller in just 18 lessons.
Do you need me to come teach your group how to do this? Sure! Check out my website to see what I do: MotivationalSpeakerKellySwanson.com
Kelly Swanson is an award-winning storyteller, comedian, motivational speaker, Huffington Post Contributor, and cast member of The Fashion Hero television show airing on Amazon Prime. She is also the author of Who Hijacked My Fairy Tale, The Land of If Only, The Story Formula, and The Affirmation Journal for Positive Thinking. She was a featured entertainer for Holland America Cruise Lines, keynote speaker for the International Toastmasters Convention, and has keynoted major conferences and corporate events from coast to coast. She just launched her one-woman show Who Hijacked My Fairy Tale in theaters, and it is being booked all over the country. In July of 2022, she was inducted into the National Speakers Association Speaker Hall of Fame.
Note: Articles by Kelly may contain affiliate links and may be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on an affiliate link.